Where in the World?

Monday, April 28, 2008



28 April 2008

Have you ever received one of those e-mails with 'You know you're from Such-and-Such a place if...' and then it goes on to say that only a person native to that place could ever understand and appreciate the social generalizations, economical trends, weather patterns, and other random information whoever made the e-mail thinks is unique? What am I saying, of course you have, I've received one for just about every place I've lived and what I've deduced is this. If you have ever lived in the world for a length of time that would provide you the ability to read this, then you have in fact experienced weather that changes daily, people who buy expensive items and cheap items though not equal to what you would have purchased, and there are outsiders and upper class people living in your area. Sound like where you live. Sounds like everywhere I've lived too. I guess the World is not quite as unique as we all make it out to be.

But for those of you who haven't lived in Fairbanks Alaska yet, not to fear, I have officially resided here for 8 days and this is what I know. The weather can be cold and snowing one day, or even in the morning, and by bed time it was a beautiful sunny day with no traces of snow. (Okay here there still are traces of snow, but only huge drifts from the winter that have become solid blocks of snow, ice, and gravel from the road) There are poor people and rich people and the housing districts show that difference. There are people who drive expensive cars and people who drive cheap cars and tow expensive snowmobiles. And the local people pride themselves on having native communities and wildlife when those two factors can be generalized as North American characteristics.

But in all fairness Fairbanks is an interesting town. The native artwork is beautiful and unique, influenced by the lifestyle long cold winters native Alaskans have survived for hundreds of years. And expensive snowmobiles do not cost nearly as much as a nice car. And if everyone had the same yearly income and taste in residences, I suppose we'd all be whales, or ants, or some other animal that actually thrives on community living and not humans with selfish goals and the ability to out do the next guy.

I'm just about settled. Mom came up to help me set up my apartment which is on post so that for the few months I'll be here I don't have to worry about it. We got the car, a black Jeep Liberty which is funny for me to drive, far different than a VW. And just explore the city while I have a couple days before I start working. I'll send pictures of the room, it's not great, but far better than Korea and worth not having to deal with getting my own furniture just to live off post. So look for more pictures I'll post in the albums and enjoy the uniqueness of your own city.

1 comment:

Dora Briegleb said...

Caitlin,
It sure sounds like Colorado, snowing one moment but sunny and warm the next!
hugs, Dora