10 May 2008
So you may be asking yourself, what have I been doing the past 2 weeks? Well, I've been slowly getting into the swing of things at work. My main mission in life now is to try and work with one boss, while two other people try to pull me under their command to do work they have neglected to do for the past 18 months. I work in the support operations cell managing medical taskings that come down to support the brigade. My side project is to act as the officer in charge of the medical warehouse and get it up to speed for our impending deployment. The problem is that the warehouse falls under a different company than I'm in and the ranking medical officer in the brigade is also putting her hand in the cookie jar. So I try to tread lightly, partially to avoid the politics, partially to avoid being pulled in too far. But it is hard since in the staff job I work with no Soldiers and in the warehouse I do and after having my platoon in Korea where my life was interacting with Soldiers its hard to sit in a cubicle all day and re-write operating procedures.
Other than work I don't know too much more about my boss other than he loves to run up the ski area here, Birch Hill. It's no Derailer at Mary Jane but it's a long 6 mile hill run. The benefit is that there is a pretty spectacular view of the Alaska Mountain Range, the north boarder of Denali National Park. It's pretty amazing to see flat woodlands go straight into snowcapped mountain peaks.
I've also learned more about Fairbanks during the last two weeks. I've learned that deer are to Boulder as moose are to Fairbanks. I got pretty excited the first couple times I saw a moose, but now I've seen a moose almost every day eating the grass outside my bedroom window and as amazing as it is to see those huge animals, it's not quite the unique experience I used to think it would be. I'm pretty sure every moose I've seen has been different. The first time was a mom and two young moose, then I saw a mom with one baby, and now I've just been seeing a bunch of lone moose. They remind me more of camels than deer or horses, mainly because they kneel down to eat.
Other than that things are going well. I'll be gone the month of July to California for some final training before deploying. Up until then it's a lot of packing equipment and running Birch Hill.
Other than work I don't know too much more about my boss other than he loves to run up the ski area here, Birch Hill. It's no Derailer at Mary Jane but it's a long 6 mile hill run. The benefit is that there is a pretty spectacular view of the Alaska Mountain Range, the north boarder of Denali National Park. It's pretty amazing to see flat woodlands go straight into snowcapped mountain peaks.
I've also learned more about Fairbanks during the last two weeks. I've learned that deer are to Boulder as moose are to Fairbanks. I got pretty excited the first couple times I saw a moose, but now I've seen a moose almost every day eating the grass outside my bedroom window and as amazing as it is to see those huge animals, it's not quite the unique experience I used to think it would be. I'm pretty sure every moose I've seen has been different. The first time was a mom and two young moose, then I saw a mom with one baby, and now I've just been seeing a bunch of lone moose. They remind me more of camels than deer or horses, mainly because they kneel down to eat.
Other than that things are going well. I'll be gone the month of July to California for some final training before deploying. Up until then it's a lot of packing equipment and running Birch Hill.

1 comment:
I was thinking about you today when I couldn't sleep...Glad that you are doing well...Miss Ya
Post a Comment