Where in the World?

Friday, March 15, 2013

Almost Spring...maybe

Hi everyone!  Sorry for the long silence between posts.  I don't actually have Internet at my house and I'm not good at remembering to bring my computer with me to someplace with Wifi.  I live out in a little farm town and Internet is something of a novelty apparently!

Germany is still exciting.  I think we may be very close to spring!  The winter has been a combination of really crapy, cold, cloudy, rainy, snowy, icy, blizzard, car crash riddled mixed with days of beautiful clear skies warm temperatures that make you want to sit outside and smile.  Then the next day it's 20 degrees, snowing, and there's a pile up on the autobahn.  It's been interesting.  Today it's beautiful, Tuesday the autobahn towards my house was closed for at least 4 hours due to a pile up thanks to the slippery blizzard we had.  People in Germany don't drive well in the snow.  There's a major car accident every day it snows, which thankfully it doesn't snow every day.  I've seen several semi-trucks facing the wrong way, up-side-down, on the uphill of the autobahn.  I don't know how that happens.

Speaking of the autobahn, it's not nearly as exciting as you'd think.  Sure you can go fast, but only until you fly up onto the back bumper of someone going 60 mph.  The speed limit for trucks and cars pulling trailers is 60 mph, the speed limit is usually 80 mph for all other cars, and then there are parts that have no speed limit, except those restricted to 60mph.  So you can imagine how crazy it is to be flying down the highway at 80 mph, come screaming up to someone going 60 mph, then have someone on your ass as soon as you pull into the left lane to pass the 60 mph car because the other car is going 100 mph.  I don't particularly like driving across Nebraska but at least there everyone is going within about 5 mph of the speed limit.

I have pictures but I still haven't re-taught myself how to post them.  One of these days I'll get it all figured out again!

1 comment:

steve said...

Spring is here in NC. Prepping for visit from Maureen, Tom, Pat and Dave in May.Your cousin Riley became a daddy last night.

Did you do any skiing this past winter? I forget to look for posts, but always interested to hear what is happening.