Where in the World?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

100 Degrees and rising

26 May 2009
Well I'm partially annoyed to say I've actually been pretty busy the past couple weeks, but also glad to report another month down! I've been busy building the plan to get us all home, that is all the equipment, people is someone elses problem. There are several, sometimes nearly impossible, tasks to complete to get weapons, vehicles, and other equipment that has been heavily used in Iraq back to the States. The trick is, we don't have to pass customs inspections to get into Iraq, but we do to get back into Alaska. Very fun tasks indeed. Thankfully not only is the bulk of my planning portion more-less complete, but the person who's job it is is now back from leave and relieved me of my added responsibility. I have some other tasks, but not quiet as demanding as my only job.
As the title of this blog suggests it's now 100 degrees here on most days. We've been having highs about 108, every once and a while we'll get 110 or so, but that's for June, July, and August! Yeah something to look forward to. It's usually pretty hot by 8 in the morning. By mid day its almost awful. Walking to the dinning facility for lunch is a feat in it's own. It's hot here like an oven. There is no humidity, all the rain we got over the winter has simply ceased to exist, I don't think it evaporated I think it got obliterated by the heat. And yes I'm complaining about the heat now and it's not even Summer yet! This is why I picked Alaska, I'm a baby in the heat.
But something to keep me motivated during the summer, I signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. when I get back in late October. I figured what better thing to do than run 26.2 miles to really celebrate leaving Iraq! Plus I get to train in the summer! Great idea. But so far it's working out well. I run by 5 in the morning because then it's only like 80-90. It's also a good time to avoid the trucks that suck out the port-o-potties, God bless them I don't want to burn our waste like they still do in some places out here, but boy do those trucks smell and trying to breath while running next to one of those should earn me a life time achievement medal or something.
I'm running the marathon in support of a Charity, Homes for our Troops. It's a charity that builds and remodels houses for wounded Soldieres, commonly amputees or any other injury that traditional homes cause problems. A classmate of mine from High School, Evan Morgan, was a Marine and lost both his legs in a road side bomb his second tour over here back in 2006. He was one of the Soldiers who had a house modified for him following the recovery. We've also had a couple men severely injured while over here, so I figured this would be a good way to give back and also let those who want to support the Soldiers have a way. If you would like to donate under my name for the marathon I put the link below. Just search for Caitlin Ebbets and a link will pop up for my name.
Happy Memorial Day to everyone as well. Nothing too excited happened here. I bet at the bigger FOBs there were famous people or maybe something fun to eat. We got what look more like 4th of July decorations but that's about it. I suppose it's a better holiday if you're not here, but we have had 7 Soldiers killed so far from various events so we all took time yesterday to remember them and their families. For anyone who heard about the shooting at Camp Victory in Baghdad a couple weeks ago, two of the Soldiers killed there were attached to our unit. They're not from Alaska, but under our Brigade while deployed so that was a hard blow to be so far from Baghdad but still so closely affected by that event.
Once June hits we're at about 3 months to go. We're scheduled to leave on time which means 50% of the unit should be back in Alaska 12 months (to the day) from when we deployed. There will be a big ceremony once every one's back, probably early October, I'm not sure of the latest date. If anyone is interested in going just let me know and I'll be sure to put out the date once I get it, otherwise when I get back I'm planning to stop by Green Bay and Iselin during my leave. Don't know those dates either but since I have to be in D.C. on the 25th to run 26.2 miles, it'll be within 2 weeks of then. I'll also be in Boulder for a while not sure of the dates but I have to get my stuff because I'll finally have a home when I get back to Alaska! This will be my first 'home' since moving out for college 7 years ago. Since then it's been dorms and army housing.
Hope every one's doing well and talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sorry to hear that is getting "warm" there so quickly in the morning. I'm excited to know that you will be making a pit stop in Islin on your travels. Can't wait to see you, and hear about all your travels! Miss you!