Where in the World?

Monday, September 1, 2008

Fall in Fairbanks



1 September 2008

Fairbanks has had it's 9 weeks of summer, so it's time for fall. The air is cooler - not that it was ever really that warm. Especially when 7 of Fairbanks' 9 weeks were spent in over 100 degree heat in California. It's getting into the 70's here, but at night it cools down to about 30. No frost yet though. All the trees are changing and it's quit amazing. After growing up in Colorado where, if there is a fall, the 5 trees in Colorado that change colors turn yellow and fall off the tree before you realize it actually did change colors. I loved fall in Minnesota because the colors were so amazing, so it's nice to be here for the fall tree show before spending a year in the beigeness of Iraq.

I drove down to Denali the other day. More just because I could than I had any real plan on how to spend my time. It's one of the last weekends for the tourist season, so there were last minute tours with Princess and Holland America cruise lines. But just like up in Fairbanks, the trees were amazing. The whole drive down I was gawking and trying to take pictures. Driving and snapping don't mix well, especially when I'm trying to do both. But I walked around the park for a while and got some good ones, so if my computer doesn't take an hour to download them you'll be able to enjoy the fall also.

For those of you in states where it's still summer, all I have to say is I don't envy you, I'm taking a break from the heat. Those of you who are in a fellow fall state and wish you were in a summer state, the grass is always greener on the other side so accept it and get over it.

No comments: