22 June 2007
As most of you probably know Mom and Dad came for a visit in between business trips, school, and the field for me. We spent a couple days in Seoul going to most of the big Tourist attractions. I discovered that out of the two days I've spent in Seoul prior to Mom and Dad visiting, I'd been to all the places we visited - Seoul's becoming a small city.
We walked around the Korean War Memorial which is near Yangson - the main Army post in Seoul. There were planes, tanks, anti-aircraft guns, tanks, helicopters, and monuments from the war. Inside was three stories of a museum going through Korea's history of war. Most of it we all noticed as not dissimilar from just about every other societies history as far as tribal warfare and the tools used leading to the larger wars during the 1900s.
We went to the Gyeongbokgung Palace which turned out to be the same palace I went to the first weekend I was in Korea. It was a lot different in the summer out of the snow I must say, and I only went through the first half in the winter, so it was fun to see the rest. We also went to a traditional Folk Korean Village which wasn't quite as good as it sounded.
We also spent four days down on the island of Jeju-do. It's off the southern coast of the peninsula and considered the Hawaii of Asia. It was nice, nice to get away, nice to be on the beach, beautiful grounds of the hotel we stayed at. Unfortunately it was hard for us to do day trips throughout the island so we spent most of our time lounging by the pool and ocean. We walked through the botanical gardens that were near the hotel and saw a waterfall.
The ocean was really nice. Not freezing but definitely not the Gulf of Mexico. I never saw any living things in the water, but I'm also a chicken when it comes to wading in the ocean and not being able to see what I could be stepping in or near, so I really couldn't tell you honestly if there was anything in the area.
It was a quick trip. I only took a week off to visit and now I'm heading to the field for a month. I'll be out of touch for a while so look for the grim details of what I'm sure will be nothing short of an interesting field problem.
Hope everyone's summer is starting well. Heat can kill - keep hydrated.
We walked around the Korean War Memorial which is near Yangson - the main Army post in Seoul. There were planes, tanks, anti-aircraft guns, tanks, helicopters, and monuments from the war. Inside was three stories of a museum going through Korea's history of war. Most of it we all noticed as not dissimilar from just about every other societies history as far as tribal warfare and the tools used leading to the larger wars during the 1900s.
We went to the Gyeongbokgung Palace which turned out to be the same palace I went to the first weekend I was in Korea. It was a lot different in the summer out of the snow I must say, and I only went through the first half in the winter, so it was fun to see the rest. We also went to a traditional Folk Korean Village which wasn't quite as good as it sounded.
We also spent four days down on the island of Jeju-do. It's off the southern coast of the peninsula and considered the Hawaii of Asia. It was nice, nice to get away, nice to be on the beach, beautiful grounds of the hotel we stayed at. Unfortunately it was hard for us to do day trips throughout the island so we spent most of our time lounging by the pool and ocean. We walked through the botanical gardens that were near the hotel and saw a waterfall.
The ocean was really nice. Not freezing but definitely not the Gulf of Mexico. I never saw any living things in the water, but I'm also a chicken when it comes to wading in the ocean and not being able to see what I could be stepping in or near, so I really couldn't tell you honestly if there was anything in the area.
It was a quick trip. I only took a week off to visit and now I'm heading to the field for a month. I'll be out of touch for a while so look for the grim details of what I'm sure will be nothing short of an interesting field problem.
Hope everyone's summer is starting well. Heat can kill - keep hydrated.

No comments:
Post a Comment