6 June 07
It's almost impossible for me to believe it's already June. The months here are going by so fast, but the days drag on. I've been organizing all my Platoon information for the new commander and it blows my mind every day looking back to how long ago certain people arrived or left Korea. There were people I've only known a couple weeks or months at the most who I feel like I've known my whole life. Unfortunately something I've learned quickly is all the good people seem to be leaving while we keep getting people who don't know there job or have poor work ethic, but we'll get through, we always do.
We had our first 4 day weekend since February last weekend for Memorial Day. Surprisingly there was nothing done for Memorial Day. It made me sad because it was the fourth time I missed the Bolder Boulder, but life goes on and maybe next year I'll be around for it. I did go to a Korean baseball game which was very entertaining. I'm used to baseball where you go get a beer, hotdog, and the crowd stays relatively quiet during at bats. Not in Korea. They drink beer, not like Americans though. There weren't any hotdog stands, but there were Koreans selling squid jerky, rice puff things, Kimchi, and other foods that didn't really look that good. There are also cheer masters who stand up on these little stages within the stands on either the home team or visitor's team sides and lead the crowd in cheers. We sat behind home plate so we weren't 'with a team' but boy do those Koreans get into it. They scream and bang noise makers. There are cheerleaders and they do the wave really well. Not like in the states where it takes 15 tries to get it to go three sections. Overall baseball games may get me through the summer and my friend from when I was at Ft. Sill who loved Ebbets Field is here now and actually stationed at Casey, so not only do I have another person to add to my friend list, but he's someone who'll enjoy the craziness of Korean Baseball!!
Other than that it's work as usual. We're preparing to go to a Gunnery which is where all the tanks fire their weapons and in infantry units they fire crew served weapons like the .50 cal and automatic grenade launcher. Our medical company will be providing all the medical coverage, but we may get to go on the ranges also and fire which is always fun.
We had our first 4 day weekend since February last weekend for Memorial Day. Surprisingly there was nothing done for Memorial Day. It made me sad because it was the fourth time I missed the Bolder Boulder, but life goes on and maybe next year I'll be around for it. I did go to a Korean baseball game which was very entertaining. I'm used to baseball where you go get a beer, hotdog, and the crowd stays relatively quiet during at bats. Not in Korea. They drink beer, not like Americans though. There weren't any hotdog stands, but there were Koreans selling squid jerky, rice puff things, Kimchi, and other foods that didn't really look that good. There are also cheer masters who stand up on these little stages within the stands on either the home team or visitor's team sides and lead the crowd in cheers. We sat behind home plate so we weren't 'with a team' but boy do those Koreans get into it. They scream and bang noise makers. There are cheerleaders and they do the wave really well. Not like in the states where it takes 15 tries to get it to go three sections. Overall baseball games may get me through the summer and my friend from when I was at Ft. Sill who loved Ebbets Field is here now and actually stationed at Casey, so not only do I have another person to add to my friend list, but he's someone who'll enjoy the craziness of Korean Baseball!!
Other than that it's work as usual. We're preparing to go to a Gunnery which is where all the tanks fire their weapons and in infantry units they fire crew served weapons like the .50 cal and automatic grenade launcher. Our medical company will be providing all the medical coverage, but we may get to go on the ranges also and fire which is always fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment