1 January 2010
Today is my 26th birthday and it's -26 outside. Coincidence? I think not! I'd say this is starting off the new year right, a cold snowy day. Usually I don't have snowy birthday's and you'd think that with a January birthday it's a sure bet, but this is only one of about two or three birthday's I remember with snow! So it was a good one.
Alaska is fun so far. It's cold yes. It's also dark. But in a lot of ways that's what's fun, it's cold and dark. It's the kind of cold where you go outside and you think 'oh it's not that bad' and then when you get into your warm car or into a building and your clothes are freezing against your skin, then you realize just how cold it is. It's also so dark that you really can't feel bad about sleeping until the sun comes up. It's dark until about 10 now which makes sleeping in to 9 or 9:30 a little easier.
Alaska is beautiful right now though. The trees stay snow covered, kind of a frosted freshly snowed on look since the temperature doesn't get warm enough for the snow to melt off. It's like a winter wonderland every day. The sky is also very pretty. The sunlight here is more like a constant sunrise/sunset so it's always a pinkish color with blue and purple. Also kind of silvery or frosty like since it's so cold. Hard to describe I guess but very pretty.
I won't talk about work since I just described how pretty it all is here. But rest assured that it's really not that exciting and there isn't a whole lot to report on that front. I'm changing jobs in April so I'll have lots to say then!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday season and welcome to 2010!!!
Picture update: I have a picture of the -26 but I had to take it on one of those old fasion film camera's so it will be a little while before I get that posted.

No comments:
Post a Comment