Where in the World?

Friday, March 20, 2009

The Escape Plan...Part I

20 March 2009

I've made my big escape! I'm off the FOB and on my way to Greece. It's not a particularly easy process to go on leave. There's lots of paperwork, no set flights or itinerary, lots of gear to haul around with you. But it will all be worth it when I'm finally in something other than dusty ACUs! We don't travel with weapons since sporting one in Greece probably wouldn't go over well, so I have walked several miles back tracking thinking I've left it somewhere. Very frustrating.

We're in between dust storms which is making my escape nice and speedy. It's noticeably hotter in Kuwait than where I am in Iraq, so there's something to look forward to! 100+ degree heat! Unfortunately I'll be freezing back at work because my boss sets the AC to a very cold setting. Wouldn't be that bad if I sat in the office all day but when you walk around outside in the heat and get sweaty, it's really cold in the office!

March flew by as well. My boss was on leave and the first week went so slowly, but then the past two weeks zipped right by. I was in charge of our section of about 18 people while he was gone. I'm the lowest ranking commissioned officer in the section but am more-less doing the deputy's job so I was in charge. Needless to say the Captain in our section took it a little personally, but I would too if I was so bad at my job a Lieutenant was going it. Speaking of Captain I should know about May time frame when I get promoted. So far most Lieutenants I got commissioned with already have their promotion dates, but Medical officers get boarded separately so our board met later. I'm still expecting about a July 1st promotion, hopefully it's a nice 140 out and dusty just to make is scenic!

Not too much to report on, but I have the feeling with my mom's fancy computer I'll be able to get some pictures up finally! I have a lot to show you all the FOB and our lovely sky (no sarcasm there, I have a lot of pictures of the sky).

No comments: