Where in the World?

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Soaking up the Alaska Weather

21 June 2008

There isn't much to report on the past two weeks. The unit spent the time having 'Warrior Skills' competitions, a series of skills all warriors should have. One of the events was a push up contest, no time limit just Army standard push ups and the winner was a young female who did 237 in an hour. If that's not dedication I don't know what is, you couldn't pay me enough to do push ups for an hour and she didn't even get paid, she just got a little pat on the back. But for a female to win in a unit with over 700 people that's pretty cool.

The solstice is tonight. I had big plans because there are a lot of events going on in the town, a 10Km run, a festival, concerts, food, but duty calls and I'll be on my way to California. Everything goes from about 10 at night until sometime in the morning, but it's supposed to be almost 22 hours of light today which means the sun will probably 'set' about 1am and then 'rise' again by 3. It really doesn't set and get dark here like it does at a lower latitude. And I must be honest that I haven't laughed as hard as I did in a long time when Greg pointed out that I was very smart to realize the sun was going to set when I get to California. It'll be my first sunset and sunrise in two months, so that'll be exciting.

I suppose I'll throw in here as well that 29 Palms where Shane and all the other Marines train isn't where I'll be. I'll be at Ft. Irwin which is the Army's equivalent. Geographically they're very close, Ft Irwin is just north of 20 Palms so we'll be sucking in the 120 degree heat too.

I'm not sure what the internet and phone use will be like so if you don't here from me until August just know I'll be really hot and get you all back up to speed when I get back.

No comments: