22 July 2007
After what can only be called another interesting (and irritating) week in my unit, I finally took advantage of an opportunity to travel to a different part of Korea and have some fun. Becca and I signed up for a trip to go to Everland, the amusement park in Korea. The trip was supposed to be for the water park only, but when we learned we could spend $12 more and go to the amusement park also, we figured as officers we make enough money to do both.
Unfortunately it wasn't the nicest day, pretty overcast and it even sprinkled a little bit throughout the day, but we still had fun. The water park had several slides and a wave pool. If you stood in the right spot in the wave pool you got destroyed by the wave, which I found out due to the language barrier and not understanding the life guard telling me to go deeper into the pool rather than stand right where the wave brakes.
Another interesting difference between Korean water parks and every other water park I've ever been to is that you have to wear a hat and life jacket while in the pools or on the rides. It was very strange. Never before had I seen so many people wearing life jackets and head gear in a pool. I'm not sure what the head gear was for either, because some people had the rubber swim caps on while others just had a visor. It wasn't really holding peoples hair up so I'm not sure what it was for.
The amusement park was kind of like Disney World, there were Villages from all over the world with rides that sort of went along with them. There weren't a whole lot of rides, in 8 hours we rode every ride at the water park and amusement park and tested the food at just about every stand since we couldn't find anything we really liked. The water ride was funny because they have plastic covers that prevent the water from getting you. It just seemed like if you are volunteering to go on a water ride, you should know you're going to get wet.
The parks were in a beautiful location though, down in a valley with mountains all around. It made hiking up to certain rides a little harder than in the states.
Unfortunately it wasn't the nicest day, pretty overcast and it even sprinkled a little bit throughout the day, but we still had fun. The water park had several slides and a wave pool. If you stood in the right spot in the wave pool you got destroyed by the wave, which I found out due to the language barrier and not understanding the life guard telling me to go deeper into the pool rather than stand right where the wave brakes.
Another interesting difference between Korean water parks and every other water park I've ever been to is that you have to wear a hat and life jacket while in the pools or on the rides. It was very strange. Never before had I seen so many people wearing life jackets and head gear in a pool. I'm not sure what the head gear was for either, because some people had the rubber swim caps on while others just had a visor. It wasn't really holding peoples hair up so I'm not sure what it was for.
The amusement park was kind of like Disney World, there were Villages from all over the world with rides that sort of went along with them. There weren't a whole lot of rides, in 8 hours we rode every ride at the water park and amusement park and tested the food at just about every stand since we couldn't find anything we really liked. The water ride was funny because they have plastic covers that prevent the water from getting you. It just seemed like if you are volunteering to go on a water ride, you should know you're going to get wet.
The parks were in a beautiful location though, down in a valley with mountains all around. It made hiking up to certain rides a little harder than in the states.

No comments:
Post a Comment