Where in the World?

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Hwaseong Fortress








8 April 2007

Today I ventured out. I rode the subway - 2.5 hours south, past Seoul, to the city of Suwon. The Hawseong Fortress is basically a wall with archery points and secret gates built during the late 1770s by Kind Jeongjo (according to my travel book). Basically I randomly flipped to that page in my book, realized I could easily get there and went for it. It was actually pretty cool and there ended up being some sort of festival outside the walls as well. Little kids were pretending to be firefighters, there was traditional Korean dancing, all sorts of food for sale. It was pretty neat. And as an added bonus the cherry trees are starting to blossom further south so it was a lot prettier than up here near Casey.

I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves, I just went to get away, be by myself for more than a couple hours. It's sometimes more overwhelming to be constantly surrounded by people you work with than to actually work, so I had to get away.

No comments: