Where in the World?

Sunday, March 18, 2007

19 March 2007

Well I've learned that time in Korea actually does go pretty fast. Today we were supposed to do Taekwondo, but we got our dates wrong, but the point is we only do Taekwondo once a month and this will be the fourth time I'm doing it. Okay I haven't been her four months, I'm pretty sure we did it twice in February since we were in the field in January, but the point is it's almost the end of March.

Something else that keeps showing us that we've been her a while is that we're no longer the newest people in our company or Battalion. We're now people who have been here and 'know all the cool places, how to ride the subway, what time things close, who to hang out with' etc, etc. It's fun. We have some more LTs here to hang out with, a couple are straight from OBC like me, others are straight from Iraq.

The past couple weeks my life has been overly consumed with cleaning and getting rid of these vehicles. It's been a tedious task but after this week my duties with them will be over. It's been a very good learning experience, I've learned more in the past month about how to talk to people and who to talk to in order to get a job done than I would have in a whole year without these vehicles. I've also learned that rank is everything, and I don't have enough rank to get what I need. But that's been a lesson in itself to learn who to talk to when other's aren't doing their job for you. If I had 15 years in the Army already, I probably would have done this job in about two days, but I haven't even been in 15 months and it took me over a month to do.

Other than these vehicles and barracks checks, nothing too new is going on here. It's finally warming up a little, which means it's getting smellier. Our company commander leaves next week so our company is going to be in some major turmoil, but we'll get through it. We have a lot of field problems coming up, so I'll be out playing Army from April through September. It should be fun though, I'm looking forward to it. We'll be doing a lot of weapons ranges and medical drills. There are also several running races around post which I will do, partially coz there's nothing else really to do, but also because it's fun getting out there with so many people. The Army puts on some good physical competitions though.

No comments: